The Proteus module shows questions to the user in a certain order, based on the student's current knowledge. The mechanism behind the order of the question is described in Proteus-A_Lecturer-Friendly_Adaptive_Tutoring_System.pdf.
From a teacher's point of view:
- Make a bunch of Closed Question nodes (using the ClosedQuestion module).
- For each learning objective make a taxonomy term and link the term to the content types Closed Question and Proteus Quiz
- For each question, under the heading "Proteus Settings" select the learning objectives for the question and assign an entry level and an exit level.
- Create a Proteus Quiz node.
- For this Proteus Quiz node, select the learning objectives for the quiz and set the Target Level for each objective.
From a student's point of view:
- A student starts at a level of 0 for each objective.
- The student can get questions that have an entry level that is lower than or equal his current level.
- If a student answers a question correct in 1 try, his new level will be the exit level for each objective linked to that question.
- If a student needs more tries, his new level will be lower than the exit level.
- Once a student reaches the target Level for all objectives of the Proteus Quiz, he has finished the quiz.